View Single Post
Old 09-24-2012, 04:30 PM   #1
anoved
Enthusiast
anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.anoved ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Keyboard, iPhone
DIY replacement of a damaged Kindle 3 screen

Hello,

I thought I would share my positive experience replacing the screen on my Kindle 3, for the benefit of anyone else in a similar situation trying to decide what to do.

The background is that my Kindle's screen recently stopped displaying a strip along the top of the page (it was cracked in one corner). The Kindle was out of warranty so seeking a replacement from Amazon was not an option.

I searched for "kindle 3 replacement screen" and found a number of sources; I ended up buying one on eBay. I followed a very helpful disassembly guide found on YouTube and was able to swap the screens successfully in about an hour. You may be able to do it faster - I was just proceeding cautiously.

The only tools I needed were a very small Philips head screwdriver and a flat head screwdriver, which I used to help pry off the back cover as I did not have a "spudger" tool. The cover is held on with plastic clips around the edges, but I actually thought it was the hardest part to remove - I guess I'm just wary of snapping small plastic bits. It is helpful to have a couple small containers handy to keep the screws organized as there are two or three different sizes.

I posted a few photos, links, and more detailed comments here: anoved.net/2012/09/rekindled/

Jim
anoved is offline   Reply With Quote