View Single Post
Old 10-26-2010, 04:49 PM   #14
MaxLV
Connoisseur
MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.MaxLV is no e-book dilettante.

Device: Sony PRS650
Quote:
Originally Posted by zmix View Post
@jgray: It would require an extended storage period with an uncharged battery for a modern Li-Ion battery to enter a 'deep discharge state'. All modern batteries have a built in computerized charge management system, it's why they are so expensive. Charging the PRS350 initially (from the DEAD state which it was shipped) and then recharging it once after two weeks is not atypical. The Apple battery charging guide is an excellent resource for learning how to get the longest life from your battery. I have followed their suggestions for years on this and certainly do understand the physics behind it. I was simply commenting here because I was surprised that the battery life was half the advertized after only a few cycles.

@rkomar: certainly it's premature to declare that the battery has issues, which is why I started this thread: To see how other PRS350 owners were faring. I'd also like to know if the PRS650 is any better... so far no actual users have replied.

@Xanthe: Many devices like the Sony and the Kindle state the battery life in terms of page turns. I do use the smallest font, always. I average about 400 words per page. My girlfriend uses her Kindle in the opposite way, averaging about 140 words per page, it has a much larger battery too.
Ibought my 650 in mid september.
I have recharged it twice, mainly to test the third party charger I bought two days ago and to see how long it took to recharge from a USB port on my computer.

Both times the battery was still 75% full according to the battery meter.

I have found that the battery seems to discharge quicker if I let the reader go into standby mode rather than power it off when not using it.

But I haven't come anywhere near fully discharging it.

I use (read) it 3-5 hours a day since buying it, have 300+ books loaded on a 4GB SD card, and have the font set at the default size.

HTH
MaxLV is offline   Reply With Quote