Thread: Cruz reader
View Single Post
Old 09-05-2010, 01:15 PM   #9
cutterjohn42
Addict
cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cutterjohn42 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Palm IIIx, EBM-911, REB-1100(dead), PRS-505
Not very good at all(i.e. read nearly unreadable) unless you can find enough shade or otherwise contrive some cover... eInk & mono-LCDs are [s]MUCH[/s] INFINITELY better if you plan on using outside in sunlight alot...

I ended up w/a PRS-505 18m or so ago, and picked up an Augen Gentouch78 (rooted & market), so now I use the 505 when daylight reading, and the GT after dark... used iReader a bit for some plain old text files, and have been using FBreaderJ for ePub ATM. Also use it in the morning for quick website checks and emails that need immediate responses as I have a well enough shaded area for it to be readable. (Using it as a reader alone is enough for me to have decided to keep it... supposed to be getting the GPLed parts of the source soonish as well... drawback is that ATM there is no opengl es support as the fw maker went cheapo and used only the basic drivers... or couldn't figure out how to make the complete driver stack work...)

Mono-LCDs are really the best allarounders IF they come with a halfway decent backlight... only problem is the loss of contrast when they heat up, e.g. hold a REB-1100 or old Palm just the wrong way and bam you end up with a black screen... found this out accidentally when I left my palm on and sitting in direct sunlight when I came back the screen was practically completely black, but it's pretty easy to find a comfortable angle where it isn't a problem.

Cruz Reader: has the same battery as the Novel & internal storage is a uSD... people @ slatedroid just waiting for internals pictures and/or experimenting w/the fw on a white Novel... (the black Novel is a piece of junk, MUCH less RAM, and not hackable ATM...)

Last edited by cutterjohn42; 09-05-2010 at 01:23 PM.
cutterjohn42 is offline   Reply With Quote