View Single Post
Old 01-29-2010, 10:31 AM   #16
pholy
Booklegger
pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pholy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: BeBook(1 & 2010), PEZ, PRS-505, Kobo BT, PRS-T1, Playbook, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by kjk View Post
I think its an aesthetic decision. Steve Jobs would rather have a gorgeous full color, responsive display with limited battery life and wide functionality, than a merely decent color display with incredible battery life and optimized for reading. Just my guess.

I think the PixelQ tech is amazing, and hope Jepsen puts it on a bunch of devices. I'm just not sure Apple is the right fit for that kind of tech. My bet is AMOLED is Apple's next screen tech.
I can agree with the first part. The IPS screen apparently gives the best colour around, and at 133 dpi it's one of the highest 'big' screens I have heard of.

On the second, not so much. I have an XO-1, and it does have discernible colour - but not vibrant or brilliant. So, not fantastic.

Also I have not checked on the pixel density achieved recently; the XO-1 is 800 x 600 with a 7.5" screen - ah ha, that works out to 133 dpi, as well - not bad for the first gen! So make it bigger and keep pushing the pixel density. If you want magazine quality viewing you need to approach colour laser printer dpi... well, no - that's up around 600 dpi for my $250 HP... but probably 200 dpi would be nice.
pholy is offline   Reply With Quote