View Single Post
Old 01-19-2013, 08:53 PM   #150
PatNY
Zennist
PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PatNY ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPod Touch, Sony PRS-350, Nook HD+ & HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by frahse View Post
The "past perfect" "had expected" was an action in the past that was supposed to have been accomplished later in the past before other actions.
In this case the "later" accomplishment was negated (not done.)
I'm not sure you're saying what I think you are, but if you are, then I think you've nailed it!

Apple really did order 19 million. But the NYT's reporter is saying that since the original order was amended it essentially was not completed.

--Pat