View Single Post
Old 04-07-2011, 04:38 AM   #4
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlandahl View Post
Thank you for the helpful advice. I got away from using named character entities like “ some time ago because they weren't always properly rendered, whereas the numeric ones were. For example, in my original post on this board, & didn't render properly and I had to use &.
That's strange, I've never had any problem with named entities.

Quote:
It's interesting that epubcheck 1.1 doesn't catch non-Unicode character entities, and that, given that the 3-digit codes are Windows ones, they were never rendered properly by Microsoft Reader!
Well, they are not exactly non-Unicode, it's just that in Unicode that particular slot is not assigned to the character you want. For example ’ is #8217 in Unicode, and #146 in Windows-1258; but #146 in Unicode is just a control character (Private Use 2). If you use #146 in your code, epubcheck has no way of knowing whether you wanted to use the right single quote or the control character.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote