View Single Post
Old 02-19-2013, 09:32 AM   #20
hwlester
Wizard
hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.hwlester ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-T1, Kindle Touch, misc. Android devices, Nook HD+
Quote:
Originally Posted by elcreative View Post
The 700 was a front side lit eink reader, just like the current readers - you can't have backlit eink by definition - eink screens are reflective not transmissive - the 700 just needed further work and refinement to improve the technology but others have done it instead...
Interesting, I had always heard it was backlit... I don't own a 700, so I'm just going by what I've heard. Seems like Sony should be on top of this market... They were first on several occasions, but the timing and implementation wasn't quite right. My first Sony was a refurbed 600 and I loved it although the touchscreen layer made the eink a bit less sharp and I had one of the ones that faded in direct sunlight (didn't actually notice that until I'd had it a year or two). I skipped the x50 generation and picked up a T1 and love it, but Sony doesn't seem to know how to market them and doesn't offer good incentives to buy ebooks from their store. If they offer a nice frontlit reader that builds on the T1/T2, I might well pick it up. If Kindle offered EPUB support though, I'd probably pick up a Paperwhite as it has most of the features that attracted me to the Sony Reader other than EPUB.
hwlester is offline   Reply With Quote