View Single Post
Old 09-08-2011, 11:02 AM   #1
wannabee
Media Bloke
wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wannabee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iOS
REAL INSIGHT PLEASE. Do you use Print on Demand? If so, let's hear your experiences.

I'm new to this game. My first year. (Almost exactly)

Our backlist doesn't warrant the printing of thousands of books any more. Our regular printer recommended a new PRINT ON DEMAND digital printer in the USA who do a great job by printing low quantities well below regular offset printing prices.

To print just ONE proof up front it's the same price as they will do hundreds (per each). $3.00

There's no set up, just upload it and for an entire book of about 200 pages with colour cover and gloss cello it arrives at the office of our USA manager for about $8.00 (after delivery - for the one off first proof).

I have had the books edited for USA English (here in OZ) and it cost nothing to re-upload it and have them sitting online awaiting our USA distributor to order them as needed. (at the $3.00 price)

So, when I heard that Lightning Source was to set up in Australia, I anticipated something similar.
BUGGER!
Reality sets in. Over $100 for a proof book and $10 per book to supply the backlist here. . . . . .

Oh! and pay us $12 per year to keep your title on our server. (We have many titles)

As Michael Caton said "Tell 'em their dreaming!"
wannabee is offline   Reply With Quote