View Single Post
Old 01-01-2010, 02:37 PM   #1
Boomstick
Boomstick began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Please help me put together an ebook.

Hi,

First time poster (though I have been reading various things here for a while), so if this is in the wrong section, I apologise in advance.

I'm planning on creating a book for recipes I like (for use on my PRS-505) and am having a bit of trouble sorting the layout/formatting. I was originally planning on creating a bog standard PDF from scanned images from magazines & books but then realised that I might have multiple recipes on a page, some of which I won't want or single recipes spread over multiple pages.

So having thought about it, decided to go with the ePUB format being that it's the standard filetype. Having searched the intarwebs for creation guides I stumbled upon the Atlantis Word Processor linked in another thread on this forum (maybe this post should go in there?).

The layout I was hoping to achieve for my book is something a lil' bit like this: (I see no need for a title page really, so on with the first page)

------------------------------------------------------------------
Recipe Index (Page title, not book title)

Mains:
  • Meat Dishes
  • Pasta Dishes
  • Vegetarian Dishes
  • Pies
  • ETC

Desserts:
  • Cakes
  • Cheesecakes
  • ETC
Muffins & Cupcakes:
  • Sweet
  • Savoury
Soups:
  • Meat
  • Vegetarian
  • Fish
Snacks, Sides & Extras:
  • Stuff
  • Stuff
  • ETC
-------------------------------------------------------

The above would be all on the first page. Page two is meat dishes with all relevant hyperlinks. (Here's where I would like a hint; should I then have page three as pasta dishes with all relevant hyperlinks or should I have it as the start of the meat dish recipes - and have the pasta dishes follow that?)

Clicking on Meat Dishes leads to another page listing all the meat dishes (obviously), listed as hyperlinks linking to the individual recipes. (It would be the same for all the other sections).

That's how I would like it laid out. I've attempted this many times and for some reason always cock it up at various points.

A few questions:

1). What are the screen dimensions of the PRS-505? If it's at all possible, I would like to have each recipe contained on each 505 screen display and not spread over multiple pages (so one page in the ePUB is one page on the 505.

2). Is it possible to set the file so that when I add in recipes, that the recipes that follow it shift a complete page and don't then take over two pages.

3). Is it possible to have a hyperlink linking back to two different sections? There may be recipes that are suitable in more than one category.

Thanks in advance, I hope I've made sense. If you have any further questions, ask away. I just hope I can answer them.
Boomstick is offline   Reply With Quote