View Single Post
Old 06-27-2011, 12:56 PM   #20
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Because it is. It's half of the planned narrative while A Dance With Dragons is the other. Martin elected to split the books by character & location instead of chronologically.

The split was done because the books manuscript was already larger than A Storm of Sword which had caused the publisher problems with it's size (I think it was actually printed in two volumes some places) and I think it was also split so he could get something out since it had been five years.

http://www.georgerrmartin.com/done.html
That explains it, then. I don't think it was a good call, however (except for the bit about getting something out there). I already have issues with how these books are structured. But that's me; I feel curmudgeonly about them but I admit they keep me turning the pages. For all their length, the books are an easy read and go quickly.
issybird is online now   Reply With Quote