View Single Post
Old 12-19-2011, 12:52 PM   #10
geekmaster
Carpe diem, c'est la vie.
geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.geekmaster ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K1 to PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by yifanlu View Post
There's also a lack of interest on my part. I have it working with everything I want it to do, so that's enough for me. If I have free time, I would expand it to work with other hacks, but there is no "other hacks" right now.
That's one big problem with open source projects in general. The primary developer moves on to other interests when a project is "good enough" for his own personal use, but not necessarily polished enough for "noobs". Many open source projects have stalled at that "almost done" state. The projects that really survive are the ones that grow enough to take on a life of their own, independent of the original developer.

And the Touch has some architecture changes that add complications to porting hacks from previous kindles, such as missing or different /proc/ ports, and different ioctl calls (for framebuffer display updates, at least). IMHO, we need some simple way to write portable native code that works on all kindles (a portable API that replaces the non-portable framebuffer updates, and provides GUI support to native apps).

Last edited by geekmaster; 12-19-2011 at 01:12 PM.
geekmaster is offline   Reply With Quote