Thread: drm protection
View Single Post
Old 09-14-2010, 04:57 PM   #49
Robert22
Zealot
Robert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankindRobert22 has exceeded all limitations known to mankind

Device: PRS-505 600 300 350 T1 T2 Kindle PW1 PW2 KV Clara 2E Libra 2 Leaf 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by speakingtohe View Post
I honestly don't know. Some good obviously or they would be out of business. And pbooks are still read although maybe not by us

I would not like to see the effect on global economy if all the publishers, printers, bookstores, and other industries that depend on pbook/newspaper/magazine publication and distribution go out of business. Major newspapers are already discussing shutting down the printing presses. Whole areas whose main industry is pulp and paper would be devasted.

I got an ebook reader because books aren't sold in the town I am currently in, and I am glad that I did, but it takes very little thought to realize the vast number of people whose livelyhood depends wholly or partially printed works distributed daily.
Bound to happen but hope it is a very gradual process.

Helen
Thanks for responding Helen,

As technologies change, it's inevitable that some industries will dwindle and disappear as others spring up and take their place. The thing is, do you want to support (by paying much higher prices) for stuff that does nothing valuable and could even imped progress because fewer people can afford it? I don't mean to sound cold hearted. One of things that raises civilization in general is literacy, and I can't help but think that cheaper books are good for most everyone (but obviously not the publishers).
Robert22 is offline   Reply With Quote