View Single Post
Old 07-05-2013, 09:55 AM   #5
Joseph J Bailey
Connoisseur
Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Joseph J Bailey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone & iPad
Thanks for sharing the link, Don! I wasn't sure if posting the pdf excerpt directly would be appropriate.

Ravensknight, I have not read Way-Farers but it does appear to be an interesting read. Thank you for bringing it to my attention!

I think the Chronicles of the Fists trilogy would be to your liking. In lieu of a sci-fi setting, imagine a more traditional fantasy world with dragons, Elves, Dwarves, Orcs, and Gnomes alongside many other races I created, each with their own cultures and magical interpretations and traditions. Add to that, Yip, a martial and spiritual seeker trying to find his way in a world imperiled and many of the elements of Way-Farers appear to be there.

Without getting too esoteric (and starting a tangent on the development of various schools of East Asian spiritual traditions), the influences are more Chinese than Japanese. So, there is a fantasized mixture of Buddhist (particularly Chán, Zen's Chinese precursor) and Daoist practice in the protagonist's training (along with flashbacks to sessions with his master akin to those in the Kung Fu television series). For those interested in learning a bit more, I have included a glossary explaining some Buddhist and Taoist ideas that may be unfamiliar along with many things I simply made up to add depth and broaden the world.

Thank you for your interest! Let me know if you have any more questions.

If you do check it out, you'll have to let me know what you think!
Joseph J Bailey is offline   Reply With Quote