View Single Post
Old 08-15-2008, 04:58 PM   #11
zelda_pinwheel
zeldinha zippy zeldissima
zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.zelda_pinwheel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: eb1150 & is that a nook in her pocket, or she just happy to see you?
Quote:
Originally Posted by acidzebra View Post
How... very French *where is that duck-and-run icon?*
heh, yes, complaining is a national sport here (along with going on strike, and watching people from café terrasses). sometimes i like to do a little gratuitous complaining when it's not merited just to keep a hand in.

Quote:
pester
–verb (used with object)
1. to bother persistently with petty annoyances; trouble: Don't pester me with your trivial problems.
2. Obsolete. to overcrowd.
no comment.

Quote:
[Origin: 1530–40; perh. aph. var. of empester, impester to tangle, encumber (though pester is found earlier than these 2 words) < MF empestrer to hobble, entangle < VL *impāstōriāre to hobble, equiv. to im- im-1 + pāstōri(a) a hobble, n. use of L pāstōrius of a herdsman or shepherd + -āre inf. suffix (see pastor);

I guess the English nicked it from you guys, but I wonder where the hobbling herdsman comes in?
yes but pester in english and "pester" in french don't seem to come from the same origin though ; from empestrer we have "empêtrer" in modern french which still means to entangle or hobble. according to the dictionary, pester can be translated as "to storm" or "to rave".
Quote:
Seriously though, do a thread/poll. I'm sure there's enough creativity in this community to come up with something really cool.
i sincerely like your suggestions but i agree the people around here are really good at stuff like this.
zelda_pinwheel is offline   Reply With Quote