View Single Post
Old 01-04-2011, 08:58 AM   #52
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Just ran across this overview/summary article on CNN/Fortune:

http://tech.fortune.cnn.com/2011/01/...ng-on-with-tv/
Thanks. Interesting read. There's one part in there about how to watch the web on your TV and the best way to do that is to NOT watch it on your TV. Instead, watch it on your computer.

Set top boxes and built-ins are crippled from the start. They only allow limited web services and you may find yourself getting several devices just to get the services you want.

Not so with a computer. There are no restrictions. You have complete access to the entire net. No cobbling devices together just to get Hulu from one and Netflix from another.

I'm about to become a "cord cutter" as the article put it and ditch TV altogether. I've already done that in my living room (with the bedroom soon to follow). My living room setup consists of:
  • netbook w/ wi-fi
  • wireless mouse
  • 23" WS monitor
  • external DVD
  • 5.1 speakers
No need for a remote, since I keep the netbook next to my recliner. I mostly stream, so I rarely use DVDs. For my needs, a 23" monitor is large enough. Also, my netbook is capable of 720 HDTV output, so I'm satisfied there.

All-in-all, this setup meets my needs and the beauty is, I didn't have to spend extra to get any of it. I already had all of the components.

Last edited by tubemonkey; 01-04-2011 at 09:17 AM.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote