View Single Post
Old 02-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #9
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrsJoseph View Post
From Here:

I think this is utter crap. Paramount doesn't care about the legacy of this book series...they're just scared that someone else might decide to read the books instead of paying Paramount to watch the movie....

...if they were really concerned, they wouldn't be getting ready to release Godfather: The Five Families as a Facebook game. Seriously? FB. Yeah, that's reputation concern there.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
It's entirely irrelevant what Paramount have or haven't done with the franchise. The validity of the claim rests solely on whether or not Paramount really do have the rights that they believe they do. That's for a court to decide.
Hear, hear.

Mrs Joseph is right about Paramount's aims and character while HarryT is correct about their legal claims and rights.

Personally I think that later authors furthering previous authors books usually results in a letdown for the reader though of course not for people making money on the new editions.
There are near exceptions as with Robert Jordan laying out a theme for his final volume of his Wheel of Time Series as he lay dying and then his wife who had been his agent and critic for years choosing Brandon Sanderson to finish the final volume which became 3 volumes. (What did I say about "making money?")
Another of my favorite older authors Jack Vance actually authorized some of his work to be continued in one direction while he delved into another deeper direction. I wish he had not done either of those.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote