View Single Post
Old 02-17-2012, 11:52 AM   #26
dra_usa
dra_usa began at the beginning.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by carpetmojo View Post
Somewhat late entry on this thread ??
But, if you do something to any reader that is sufficiently severe to result in "..a shattered screen..." I doubt you have any recompense coming, unless you have taken out a warranty that specifically covers such an event.
Allthough you give no details, it sounds like the shattered screen was caused by your mistreatment of the device, not any design fault per se - you do hear of people who have done dreadful things to their Sony/Kindle/Bookeen etc... without harm, but they're few and far between.

None of them are made of transparent Kevlar, you know !

[ Actually, did you think to check your household contents insurance ? Most decent ones cover items for accidental damage - I know, as I managed to run over a pretty expensive camera, and got a replacement on our Contents cover. ]
I agree, if you do something sufficiently severe, you might not have recompense. My complaint doesn't have to do with readers, but with Sony the corporation.
The deal is, there was no mistreatment of my laptop. A local computer repair place said they see laptops from time to time with broken screens caused by the screen flexing when the laptop is closed with one hand, rather than evenly with two hands. Is that reasonable, to expect users to close the lid with two hands?? Is it mistreatment if it's not closed so carefully? Or is it poor design? And the biggest question: should it really cost the user as much to fix the broken screen as it costs to purchase an entire new laptop? Sony's excuse for that is that they "use quality parts". Let's laugh together on that one. Do they mean quality like in the screen that couldn't handle being closed with one hand?

The screen doesn't have to be made of Kevlar. But if I performed at my job the way Sony has, I would be ashamed to cash my paycheck.
dra_usa is offline   Reply With Quote