View Single Post
Old 01-04-2010, 04:56 PM   #5
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhishStyx View Post
I understand your frustration DG, but with hypertexted books now not only possible, but useful, I think this will be on the rise.

Also consider the usefulness of this type of "augmented reading" (taken from the transhumanist term, augmented reality) in the classroom, where a student can immediately look up a potentially confusing reference as he or she is writing a paper without having to go track down 2 or 3 reference books.

In my own case, an RPG book where a term automatically links me to rules covering that case and other references dealing with that situation is potentially incredibly valuable.

I'm not religious, but the ability to buy a Bible with an attached reference wiki would be a massive resource for a religious studies major.
Great response. Thank you.

"Augmented reading" is a nicely turned phrase. But heres the thing.

You are limited to what you can 'research' to what/where the providers decide you need. Thats freakin' scary.

Independent research will soon go the way of the dodo.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote