View Single Post
Old 11-27-2012, 03:43 PM   #29
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by meeera View Post
I should have expanded. I'm sure it's nice to read text on, but right now I read comics on an older iPad and the lettering is not as sharp as it needs to be. I'm looking for an substantial upgrade, not a sidegrade. (The storage is obviously also an issue.)
I bought an iPad 1 and was totally disappointed with the screen as far as reading text for books. Apps were mostly okay with the 132 ppi resolution screen. But compared to my iPad 3 with 268 ppi resolution screen the iPad 1 seems like a POS. Text is crystal clear and sharp. I know a lot of fanboys and fangirls are saying the mini has a terrific screen, but to be honest I think they would say that about anything with an Apple logo on it. The mini has slightly better resolution than the iPad 1 and 2 at 162 ppi, but at best that is comparable to screens released two years ago.

Apple really doesn't need to put a Retina screen (2096 * 1536) in the mini, just bump it to 1440 * 1080 for a resolution of 228 ppi and it will rock. That way they can keep the 4 to 3 ratio, and use half as many pixels as a retina screen but with very sharp resolution.