View Single Post
Old 03-18-2009, 06:11 PM   #6
Moejoe
Banned
Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.Moejoe did not drink the Kool Aid.

Device: Coffin
Dent helped me many years ago when I was on a writing course. We had the traditional rising-arc, 3-act, peak of action followed by denoument formula as the standard, but I always felt like there was something missing. A dullness to the 2nd act that I couldn't put my finger on. At the time I was reading a lot of pulp detective stories from the Black Mask era and trying badly to imitate them. Still, my stories lacked something in the second act. Then I discovered Dent.

The 4 act (or even the 9-act which is a more Screenplay centric formula) forces life into the traditional 2nd act by splitting it in two. You know that mid-way through the 2nd act there's going to be a turnaround, which then leads you in another direction. Your 2nd-act can't sag when you write this way (whatever you may write). If you're a fan of Jim Butcher you can see this formula, plus the ideas of Dwight V Swain in his writing. It hits the Dent beats perfectly.
Moejoe is offline   Reply With Quote