View Single Post
Old 08-13-2012, 09:46 AM   #23
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Spoiler:
okay. I have kmod built created for the 3. wrong kernal

have to figure out how to get it on there @__@ (todays bugbear) but that looks helpful for the job like it might need more reading about....

Some LD_LIBRARY_PATH stuff in practice:

[root@kindle lib]# pwd
/mnt/us/lib

[root@kindle lib]# ls
ld-2.15.so libm-2.15.so libpthread.so.0
ld-linux.so.3 libm.so.6 libresolv-2.15.so
libc-2.15.so libnsl-2.15.so libresolv.so.2
libc.so.6 libnsl.so.1 librt-2.15.so
libcrypt-2.15.so libnss_dns-2.15.so librt.so.1
libcrypt.so.1 libnss_dns.so.2 libutil-2.15.so
libdl-2.15.so libnss_files-2.15.so libutil.so.1
libdl.so.2 libnss_files.so.2
libgcc_s.so.1 libpthread-2.15.so

(some I made earlier)

[root@kindle lib]# /lib/ld-linux.so.3 --list ./libm.so.6
/lib/ld-linux.so.3 (0x2a000000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x400a7000)

[root@kindle lib]# echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
(blank response by default)

[root@kindle lib]# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/mnt/us/usr/lib:/mnt/us/lib:/lib:/usr/lib

[root@kindle lib]# echo $LD_LIBRARY_PATH
/mnt/us/lib:/mnt/us/usr/lib:/lib:/usr/lib:/usr/bin

libc.so.6 => /mnt/us/lib/libc.so.6 (0x400a7000)

Tidy up again

[root@kindle lib]# export LD_LIBRARY_PATH=
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0x400ab000)

Looks simple enough

This is just some notes for me to read about kABI-tracking kmod. or you if you want to.
Spoiler:

Quote:
Linux drivers must be built against the kernel for which they are to be used. As most drivers are part of the kernel, this normally isn't a problem. However, when using 3rd party drivers, the driver must be recompiled against each new kernel. This causes inconvenience for users who must rebuild the driver against each new kernel update. A kABI-tracking kmod is a kernel module (driver) that is compatible with a given kernel Application Binary Interface (kABI). A consistent kABI is a key feature of an Enterprise Linux distribution and, so long as upstream doesn't break the kABI, a kABI-tracking kmod driver will work across all kernels for a given Enterprise Linux distribution (eg, RHEL-5, CentOS-5, Scientific Linux 5) without the need to recompile the driver for each kernel update.

2. What is the advantage of a kABI-tracking kmod over a DKMS enabled driver

Dynamic Kernel Module Support (DKMS) is another packaging method for delivering automatic 3rd party kernel driver updates. The main disadvantage of DKMS for Enterprise Linux is that the driver is automatically recompiled (by the DKMS utility) for each new kernel meaning that the system must contain the appropriate development packages and compiler, something that is not always desirable on a production Enterprise Linux system.
http://elrepo.org/tiki/FAQ

And

[root@kindle /etc]# ls mod*
modprobe.conf modules modules.conf modules.luigi

[root@kindle /etc]# ls *.so.*
ld.so.cache ld.so.conf

For my reference and future understanding

http://blog.gustavobarbieri.com.br/2...lp-testing-it/

http://lwn.net/Articles/475821/

http://git.profusion.mobi/cgit.cgi/kmod.git/

Last edited by twobob; 08-13-2012 at 12:08 PM. Reason: i was wrong. I try to be wrong about once a day minimum
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote