View Single Post
Old 12-02-2012, 08:28 PM   #301
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyMartin View Post
Think I was the only one to mention the lack of FireWire on the new retina laptops. Not sure why you would assume because the lack of FireWire was only mentioned now that it was only noticed now. I must have cancelled my retina order at least 4 months ago.
HM:

Since I wasn't literally responding to every MR member, my comment was far from user-history-specific. People on MR was synecdoche for trending MR responses on this thread -- i.e., for about the past twenty posts.

Besides, I wrote about the first Ivy MBPs and the disinclusion of FW at least a year ago, but I'm sure I wasn't the first because, if we looked, we'd find that at least one other member wrote about it before that.

Chronologies aside, you and I and most of the music industry are in worse shape than we ever needed to be.

The modernist idea that a product is worthless unless it innovates is flawed, as the nightmare monotonies of Robert Moses's architectural overlay have taught New York. There was no reason to level the original Penn Station and replace it with a rat warren except that the warren was new.

It's precisely because music and film production require stability that the model doesn't work when it comes to professionals. The product that is worthwhile for us is modern enough not to be underpowered or hermetic, tested and built to be solid, and open enough to be flexible. Those who complain that Apple is insufficiently innovative aren't seeing the real problem for pro media users.

The problem is that Apple used to offer hardware/software integration on an unusual level and it was the integration in a flakier age that professionals bought. Now Apple is the Nintendo of computers and can't go to market without at least one gimmick which serves to distract and seemingly disqualify other brands and OSs, even as that same gimmick often limits users to proprietary accessories and formats.

Quote:
Originally Posted by talaivan View Post
You can mount the firewire disk with thunderbolt and the firewire adapter and then use the Migration Assistant to transfer data.
Oh, how I wish you were right.

The adapter goes from Thunderbolt-to-FW, not the other way around. Users all over the world have been posting about this since first receiving their Thunderbolt MBPs. I was on the phone with tech support a few weeks ago while considering buying one and they eventually admitted that MA doesn't work with the Thunderbolt adapter.

I don't absolutely need MA, but I do need FW. However, I happen to think MA should work on principle. No one is upgrading from a thunderbolt machine, which effectively makes MA worthless until the next iteration of Macs.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 12-02-2012 at 08:43 PM.