View Single Post
Old 08-15-2010, 09:39 PM   #13
polbit
Connoisseur
polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.polbit is faster than slow light.

Device: Kindle 4, Kindle HDX 8.9, Yoga 2 Pro
While I'm a full convert, and use my Kindle for most of my book reading these days, I can certainly understand how people can prefer reading a paper book. I still love going to an old, small bookstore and going through old, dusty books, or discovering something interesting at a garage sale. One of the main reasons I got an ebook reader was because we started running out of room... Both me and my wife read a lot, so it just made sense.

I remember my first "real" book - three musketeers, in a 1920s, leather-bound cover. An experience that made me appreciate books as a kid. I really don't see that happening with Kindle's edition of three musketeers

Listening to old LP albums seems similar. Great, large covers, the experience of heaving to clean the record before playing it. Just seems like there was more to it. Now you just download an mp3. Again, I have an iPod, and buy most of my music via iTunes, but I think we have lost something here with the digital media.

Hundred years from now, when physical media for books, music, video, etc. is something only talked about in history classes, nobody will care. But now, during the transition phase if you will, it's still a little hard to give it up completely.
polbit is offline   Reply With Quote