View Single Post
Old 11-30-2008, 08:19 AM   #13
mtravellerh
book creator
mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mtravellerh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB360°
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Yes, with a couple of exceptions. I convert books I want to read, and I am a real nitpicker, so I take some time to carefully format the book, then I read it with pen and paper to take note of possible mistakes... if possible, I compare with a printed edition, or with scans available in the net[*]. Once I finish reading the book, I upload it and, of course, if I subsequently find any more problems I upload a corrected version.

[*]Sadly, I've found many recent editions of out-of-copyright books (as found in Google Books) are just the Project Gutenberg texts in paper form, so they keep the same mistakes, the formatting is often bad and conversion of curly quotes and apostrophes is automatic (which is even worse). The last example is Mark Twain's "The American Claimant", which I am currently reading, I had to download a scanned copy from the Internet Archive, because every other version I found was a pain to look at.
I found that the OCR'd texts from archive.org are really poorly done. I wonder what kind of software they use. Typing is sometimes faster than proofreading those,

Last edited by mtravellerh; 11-30-2008 at 09:04 AM.
mtravellerh is offline   Reply With Quote