View Single Post
Old 06-16-2009, 09:24 AM   #15
rhadin
Literacy = Understanding
rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rhadin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook, Nook Tablet
Question Why is the Kindle the future?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirbruce View Post
The Sony is a nice device, but the Kindle is the future. Welcome aboard!
Why do you think the Kindle is the future? Right now it has the wireless, but that will be changing (i.e., other devices will soon have wireless capability). Once Kindle's wireless 'advantage" is neutralized, I see nothing that makes the Kindle the eink device of the future. (I'm not suggesting that it is not a good device or that the Sony is better; just that I don't understand your comment.)

If you are referring to the "breadth" of offerings available at the Amazon Kindle bookstore (as opposed to the device itself), even that is a fleeting advantage. Amazon's competitors are only now gearing up (e.g., Barnes & Noble) and publishers are becoming increasingly wary of Amazon. Besides, a lot of Amazon's advantage in this regard is one of price -- the $9.99 bestsellers -- but that advantage will eventually fade. First, it is not forever sustainable by Amazon as a loss leader. Second, Bezos recognizes that his primary goal is to make money, not lose it, which contributes to the lack of sustainability. And, third, once publishers get real about their ebook pricing, Amazon will adjust its prices as will its competitors. I think competition will be more along the pbook model.

Last edited by rhadin; 06-16-2009 at 09:26 AM.
rhadin is offline   Reply With Quote