View Single Post
Old 06-29-2012, 07:51 PM   #6
frahse
occasional author
frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.frahse ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: Wandering God's glorious hills, valleys and plains.
Device: A Franklin BI (before Internet) was the first. I still have it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by EileenG View Post
This is a Big Six publisher who have approached me and asked me to write an erotic novel that will blow 50 Shades away. They want it before the end of August, so it can be on the shelves before Christmas and are offering an advance of $5000.
Earlier I had seen your first post on this subject and I thought a moment and came up with $5K to $25K.
This was based on "old" numbers I have heard over the years from friends and just a little knowledge about your published work, and I admit a lot of that is from this web site and what you have said.

I essentially agree with charlesatan on most points.

If you sell 25k to 50K books, that will be a start with the big boys. Sell 100K and you are a rising star.

Everything depends on the complete package. Granted you can write, but can you and are you willing to sell?
For example will you dye your hair, and dress like your avatar? Can you go on talk shows. Are you willing to take the time and make the effort to become a "personage." In view of the subject, can you tell little interesting titillating stories like the one you told here about the "food court."

But note this please. At $5K a shot, they may have contacted several prospects, may pick the one they want, and your effort may not be published.

Still it is a chance to "kick the door open."
I would suggest you take it providing they don't have some horrible contract that they want you to sign, committing you to lifetime indenture.

Once your work is out there, they may own the book, the title, and the character you brought to life, but your name is yours. Just make sure that you can still write, for someone else, books that are reasonably distinct from the book they are buying.

Last edited by frahse; 06-29-2012 at 07:58 PM.
frahse is offline   Reply With Quote