View Single Post
Old 02-13-2012, 03:10 AM   #5
bardo
bardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enoughbardo will become famous soon enough

Device: PRS-T1
What reasons do you have to believe that if such method existed it would not be used in a stock firmware produced by people who have time and documentation? Can you share your thoughts on this?

Amateurs sometimes reinvent the wheel - and like it

A month ago I got my PRS-T1, a week ago I did my first compile on Android, quite a learning curve.. Thanks for the info on bacsmali, the Freescale slides give excellent e-ink programming background info.

I try to find out what apps can make sense on an e-ink device, what modifications are needed to make it e-ink friendly. Some mods I learned:
  • General: Open apk with 7zip or others, change icons and bitmaps to high BW contrast, re-sign apk.
  • AardDict offline Wikipedia: changed from scrolling to paging and added DairyKnight's N2EpdController.
  • Anagram, AnkiDroid (flashcard learning): no scrolling, but higher frequency of page content change, even N2EpdController flashes too much and the reaction time is too slow. Switching to fast/ghosting grey mode is OK for the flash cards, but I need to learn more how to switch back and forth between the modes without triggering too much flashing.
I want to see more e-ink friendly apps. But most developers do not know about e-ink, they need our support and ready-made replacements for their say, WebView calls. Thats why I consider hbertsens approach an important contribution.

A big to you and this forum for sharing your knowledge.

Last edited by bardo; 02-13-2012 at 03:12 AM.
bardo is offline   Reply With Quote