View Single Post
Old 06-17-2010, 03:30 PM   #36
drofgnal
Wizard
drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.drofgnal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad Pro/Kindle Oasis 3/iPhone 13 Pro Max
Quote:
Originally Posted by whitearrow View Post
I'm not sticking my head in the sand -- I'm making an individual decision about what works for me and what doesn't. I don't see why $9.99 is a line in the sand. It strikes me as arbitrary, and as I said, I would much rather pay $12.99 for a new release when the alternative is an $15-$18 hardcover I don't have the space for. But at least I'm not being charged extra for the privilege of not buying paper and ink.

The $9.99 "movement" doesn't at all address what I see as the biggest publisher abuse of all -- charging more for backlist titles than the cheapest in-print paper edition. I don't at all feel cheated by paying $12.99 for a brand-new title when the hardcover is $15+. I feel cheated as hell, however, when the price for an ebook of a 1995 title is $8.99 when there is a $6.99 paperback still in print.

If the "boycott" had as its battle cry "no ebook should cost more than the cheapest available paper edition" I would probably join, for all the good it would do. But $9.99 is, to me, an arbitrary number, and a "boycott" based on that arbitrary number does not at all address, IMO, the far more transparent, money-grubbing publisher abuse of pricing backlist ebook titles higher than paperbacks.
I wasn't implying you were. In fact if you read my post carefully you'll find we agree. My biggest gripe is the cost of an ebook more expensive than something that is out in paperback. The 9.99 vs 12.99 for a new release hardbook is not my grip either. Its the paperback release cost issue for me. So I've avoided all paperback releases in ebook more than the paperback prices.

Maybe that is the publisher's strategy. Price ebooks of paperback releases to high prices and push ebook readers to buy when new as opposed to when paperbacks are released.

Last edited by drofgnal; 06-17-2010 at 03:33 PM.
drofgnal is offline   Reply With Quote