View Single Post
Old 06-22-2010, 01:52 PM   #2
Catire
Lord of the Universe
Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505 / PSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kivgaen View Post
Okay, here's the issue...

We're just using basic fonts for all of our epub ebooks, because I know some readers don't have the capabilities to read the embedded fonts, and also a lot of readers these days allows the user to over-ride the fonts used anyway... So to keep it simple, we made the decision to stick with basic system fonts for ALL of our ebooks and not embed them.
By basic font you mean you don't actually declare any font in the css or xhtml so the display engine picks whatever it uses?

Quote:
But then there's the suit symbols...
Pardon my ignorance but what exactly is a suit symbol?

Quote:
So far, ALL of the readers that we have tested, namely: Sony reader, iPad, Kobo, etc... So far, ALL of the readers have capability to display the suit symbols properly when the font is NOT embedded to the .epub file.
If the embedded font does not include the symbol you are using then it wont display in the ePub unless the epub rendering engine does not support embedded fonts and in that case the symbols will appear(because the rendering engine wont be using the font with the missing symbol).

Quote:
I'm very confused and not sure which direction we should go.

1) Should we embed the fonts? Why, when they are just basic (default) fonts (just like you would design for a web page)? (Times, Times New Roman, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif, serif, Symbol).

2) Can I embed a font AFTER the fact? I mean, after the .epub has already been exported, fixed in Sigil, edited, etc. Can I embed the font without going back to the InDesign source file?

3) If your answer is "Yes, embed the fonts", then: Using InDesign, how can I embed a True Type font?
1) In my personal opinion different fonts for different books give them a different "feel" I like to vary the font I use in books. Plus some font families greatly enhance the readability of epub files, specially in e-ink.

2) In Sigil you can do it easily

If you want to embed fonts with Sigil just import the fonts you want to use with the epub into the font folder of sigil, declare the fonts in the css and use them in a style.
For example if I want to use X font family on the whole book i'd use this to declare it

Code:
@font-face {
font-family: "x family name";
font-weight: normal;
font-style: normal;
src: url(../Fonts/x-Regular.xtf);
}
@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: normal;
src: url(../Fonts/x_Bold.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-weight: bold;
font-style: italic;
src: url(../Fonts/x_Bold_Italic.ttf);
}
@font-face {
font-weight: normal;
font-style: italic;
src: url(../Fonts/x_italic.ttf);
}
and then I would apply it to the whole book just by having the body style use it:

Code:
body {
}
3) Do you actually have a choice in the matter, what I mean is are you going to sell your epubs through a third party vendor? Do they even allow you to use embbeded fonts (as far as I know apple does not).

If you can I say yes embed the fonts in the worst case scenario the ePub rendering engine that does not support embedded fonts will ignore the fonts and just use what it regularly does, but in the best case scenario you'll have an ePub that looks how YOU want it to look.

This page should tell you how to embed fonts with indesign : link

Quote:
I would appreciate any feedback on this subject. Thanks in advance,

Luise
No Problem
Catire is offline   Reply With Quote