View Single Post
Old 10-31-2012, 07:20 AM   #14
twobob
( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°){ʇlnɐɟ ƃǝs}Týr
twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.twobob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: uti gratia usura (Yao ying da ying; Mo ying da yieng)
Device: PW-WIFI|K5-3G+WIFI| K4|K3-3G|DXG|K2| Rooted Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by supert View Post
Snip...

Loose ends:

I've been trying to get X11 working, haven't had too much luck yet. This is what I've tried as per Jesse.
on the donor machine:
Code:
# set up X11 to use /dev/fb:
apt-get build-dep xorg-server
apt-get source xorg-server
# apply the patch as per http://code.google.com/p/savory/source/browse/trunk/x11-on-kindle/?r=12
./autogen.sh --prefix=/mnt/debian
make && make install
umount /mnt/debian
... but it still looks for a VT / tty.

I have unsuccessfully tried hacking /etc/inittab to provide a fake tty, of course this doesn't work

# can we use directfb? fbterm?

Probably I will need to flash the kernel as per yifanlu, recompiling it with with VT support. I think the options need to be (but I am not sure):

CONFIG_NO_USER_SPACE_SCREEN_ACCESS_CONTROL=y
# CONFIG_FB_EARLYSUSPEND is not set
CONFIG_VT=y
CONFIG_CONSOLE_TRANSLATIONS=y
CONFIG_VT_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_HW_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_DUMMY_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_DETECT_PRIMARY=y
CONFIG_FRAMEBUFFER_CONSOLE_ROTATION=y
# CONFIG_FB_MSM_LOGO is not set

Given VT support in the kernel, it may make more sense to run something like fbterm rather than X11.

-supert
There is a version of X now working in a basic fashion... FYI.

patch for the VT issue (to get X to boot at least) is here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...8&postcount=28

cheers.
twobob is offline   Reply With Quote