View Single Post
Old 04-02-2011, 03:56 PM   #62
stonetools
Wizard
stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.stonetools ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Ipad, IPhone
Quote:
And you're no less of a "cloud" digerati? <shrug> If you think containing content on the cloud will stop piracy, you're badly mistaken. Hackers will just write "vampire" programs
well, nothing is going to completely stop piracy, mate. Holding content on cloud will just make it more difficult -and more important, make casual sharing much more difficult. See

http://www.idealog.com/blog/what-the...-of-the-cloud#

For a detailed discussion of the issue.

Quote:
All you're doing is supporting a model guaranteed to annoy the current "heavy user" customers. The denizens of Mobile Read are the heavy using customers. And they don't seem to be pleased with your goals...
Hard to understand why they would be upset. Are they upset by Netflix? Rhapsody? Because the basic concept is the same. I kind of think that people are so invested in fighting The Good Fight Against the DRM Devil that they just are repulsed by a model that marginalizes the issue altogether. Plus there is the control thing-which is digerati inside baseball stuff to the average consumer.
As for libraries being cheaper, yup-but less range and convenience. I love libraries, don't get me wrong- but for ebooks, they are WAAY behind Amazon.
Amazon, of course, is mostly a cloud based service. That's why it makes total sense for them to offer a cloud subscription model. They've got every peice in place but the offline reading.

Quote:
You're not getting a warm welcome for your ideas, because many of us see the holes. We don't want to be dependent on a profit maximizing corporation for our history and entertainment. (That's different from paying for it. We just don't believe in renting.
That's good to know. Based on the success of Netflix and Rhapsody, lots of people prefer renting. I think the resistance here is precisely because you and others understand that the average consumer may prefer the subscriptiion model. Doesnt mean, btw, that the purchase option will not still exist. It just won't be where the main action will be.
If the cloud subscription model is made cheaper and more convenient than the buy-download model, that's where consumers will go

Last edited by stonetools; 04-02-2011 at 04:05 PM.