View Single Post
Old 12-28-2010, 11:32 PM   #37
boswd
Banned
boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.boswd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: The Nook, Nook color and Droid X
Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew H. View Post
Feeling defensive?

I know it makes you feel "special" that you don't own a Kindle, but pretending that the Kindle doesn't offer very real advantages for many users just shows how defensive *you* are about your own e-reader purchase. If you were really confident that your nook was all that, you wouldn't be *constantly* attacking Kindle users for being "sheep" or "kindlebots." You would be talking about whatever advantages you thought your Nook might have.

You are not better, or smarter, or 3l337 because you own a "Nook."

No, popular *doesn't* mean bad. It simply means popular. And for many people, the Kindle does offer very real advantages over other readers. Advantages that may not be important to you, but are important to other people.

Such as the fact that you don't need a computer to buy a book, that you can buy from Amazon, and that you don't need to sideload (but you can).

Nook and Kobo don't have Pearl; Sony doesn't have wireless unless you pay $300 (and even then the buying experience isn't as good as the Kindle's); NookColor is LCD.

Of course you may not care about buying from Amazon, you might not care about paying $300 (especially for a touchscreen), you might like having a tablet, or library books may be more important to you than Pearl. That's perfectly reasonable, and I don't object to anyone who has those priorities.

But many people prefer the priorities offered by the Kindle, and they are not "wrong" to do so, even if a lot of people seem to like those priorities.

And the thing is, you are *not* just buying an e-reader. You are buying an e-reader *and* an e-reader infrastructure. And many people prefer the Kindle+Amazon infrastructure because the integration is tight, there plenty of books...and, yeah, Amazon is looking more and more like VHS to other reader's Beta.
defensive? I actually looked at the kindle before the nook. The only one sounding defensive is you .
Which I can understand, an iphone and a kindle? Not extacly setting any trends or thinking to independantly are ya?

But I'm not trying to get into any flame war here. My point is the average person, who are the bulk of these sales, are buying kindles basically because that's all they've seen or think "this is the one I've heard of, so it's got to be the best"

while I know sheep mentality or sheep consumerism isn't exactly flattering but it is what every company tries to achieve with it's product. Apple is the current master at creating this and Amazon is doing nicely with this with the Kindle. It's actually a patt on the back to Amazon's marketing department. Nike had it in the 1990's.

Again just because a product is popular doesn't auotmatically make it the best. I can name at least 3 mp3 players that are far and away better than any iPod, but what is by far and away the most popular. I can name at least 4 phones that are better than the iPhone, but again what is more popular.

consumers are driven by what is perceived to be the best not what ACTUALLY is the best in most cases.

Last edited by boswd; 12-28-2010 at 11:46 PM.
boswd is offline   Reply With Quote