View Single Post
Old 10-12-2004, 10:45 PM   #12
Francesco
Aficionado
Francesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enoughFrancesco will become famous soon enough

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Touch
Well, I find it hard to tell you in a few words (in a lot of words, too, actually). What he says (I hope Penrose doesn't read MobileRead) is that he believes consciousness (where's the spellchecker?) can only be imitated by algorithms, that there's something about it that goes beyond logic and determinism. He says that our approach to artificial intelligence must dramatically change before we can really create it, because in their current state, mathematics only can lead us to create heaps of algorithms that imitate intelligence but are void of consciousness.
I disagree with you, Team. I don't think computers will ever have "independent" intelligence, I don't think they'll ever be aware of nothing. Why? Maybe because we're not powerful enough.
I feel it's impossible for the mind to fully comprehend itself. To me, it would be as if we could lift ourselves just by pulling our hair.
Maybe it's just romanticism.
Francesco is offline   Reply With Quote