View Single Post
Old 09-30-2006, 05:54 PM   #14
ali
Addict
ali doesn't litterali doesn't litter

Device: Iliad, dude!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
So, we have a choice: we can have a system that is optimized for the hardware, making the device fast and easy on the power - with the downside that any problems will probably require a large change to the system. Also, supporting new hardware is much more difficult.

Or we can have a system that is less optimized and modular, making the device a little slower and a little more power hungry - with the upside that problems are quickly and easily corrected and support for new hardware much easier.
We're on the same side here. I just think the Iliad uses just a few general-purpose pieces too much. Like the window manager (where there are no windows to manage), or gtk (where cairo would have sufficed), and such.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rlauzon
I've already dealt with such a choice and that's why I haven't used a Microsoft product at home since 2001.
Ca. 1997 here... basically. But the awful truth is I have a Windows (for the games!) at home, and give presentations using PowerPoint. Shame on me. But I swear, that's it! Believe me please!
ali is offline   Reply With Quote