View Single Post
Old 12-27-2008, 09:41 PM   #14
HowGozit
Connoisseur
HowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it isHowGozit knows what time it is

Device: Sony PRS650, Kobo, Asus Tab 8, iPod Touch, Galaxy Tab, Surface Pr2
Yes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by pathfinderca View Post
If you are comfortable with the cost, then that is an *excellent* tablet.

Battery life with a new battery is in the order of 4-5 hours. If you only have the orginal battery with that came with the unit, then expect a battery life of 2-3 hours.

The T1x00 range is small and light, especially if you detach the keyboard/base. Performance on the T1100 is quite good (the T1000 is slow, and should be avoided). The digitizer is a Wacom and uses a pen with no batteries (unlike the T1000).

I have a T1000 (The t1100's predecessor with a non-intel CPU) which is rapidly approaching its use-by date. The pen needs a AAAA (not a misprint) battery, and even though I have 2 pens and 768MB of RAM in the unit, it is getting very flakey in tablet mode. It lives in hibernate with 3 or 4 book/magazine readers preloaded, and is still the best unit for reading Zinio magazines that I have, as is is easy to treat as a magazine when sitting on the couch. Due to the 3 pound weight. I keep whopping libraries on it as it has 30GB of storage.

The next lightest full tablet I have is 4.4 lbs (Toshiba M700) and the Toshiba M4 (best screen at 14" 1400x1050) is 7 lbs and flat not comfortable to read on the couch.

If you are comfortable with the price, and especially if you can buy a new battery for it somewhere - then that will be a good reader for .LIT and Zinio magazines. There are also Mobipocket readers, Ereader, and it will happily show PDF's in portrait mode.

Like anything that weighs 3 lbs odd (plus power pack), it is not something that you casually throw into a briefcase as a 2nd reader. But it will be a great reader for around the house.

I am tearfully going to abandon my T1000, if I had a T1100, I suspect that I would still be keeping it for a couple of years yet.

Ross

Last edited by HowGozit; 12-27-2008 at 11:33 PM.
HowGozit is offline   Reply With Quote