View Single Post
Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 AM   #20
WillysJeepMan
Guru
WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.WillysJeepMan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, KFHD7, GTab 8.4 Pro, iPadAir 2
The "cloud" is nothing new. Back-in-the-day(c) before personal computers, we had mainframe computers that sat in a separate room/building controlled by an elite team. They determined what you could do with (supposedly) your data. They also determined what applications you were allowed to run.

Here we are 30+ years later and we're going back to the future. User data is more and more being physically taken out of the hands of the user, and "ecosystems" are restricting what applications will be permitted to be used.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilovejedd View Post
One reason I like Dropbox. It's a syncing service. All my content are on all my computers. It just so happens I also have a copy of that content on Dropbox's servers (well, technically, Amazon, I guess).

CrashPlan's also pretty interesting, as far as offsite back-ups are concerned.
Be careful with DropBox... if the only place that those documents are physically stored is in your local dropbox folder, then all it takes is for Dropbox to delete the files from their server and .... BAM... your local copy is gone the next time you sync.
WillysJeepMan is offline   Reply With Quote