View Single Post
Old 01-10-2011, 07:21 PM   #3
seanbob
Enthusiast
seanbob is on a distinguished road

Device: Sony PRS-650
Here's some additional information based on my current Calibre setup.

Quote:
I don't have the "Use Author Sort as Author" option enabled in the Sony device plugin, I have moved it into my Metadata Plugboard. Do you have one of these set up for your Sony?
I don't have the Metadata Plugboard set up at all for my Sony. I've just used the Sony device plugin to handle everything, as I've never needed anything too fancy. But... I would be curious to know how you have the Metadata Plugboard set up for your Reader in case I get the urge to tinker.

Quote:
How are you viewing your bookshelf when you see author instead of author_sort? In Collections ? See all by Author?
I'm viewing the bookshelf using "See All" sorted by Author. Sometimes the authors are displayed (and sorted correctly) as "LastName, FirstName" and sometimes they change to "FirstName LastName".

From what I can gather, the Sony Reader is overwriting Calibre's metadata when it processes the library upon disconnect (perhaps grabbing new thumbnails and Author/Title information from the eBook itself rather than using the metadata already assigned to it in media.xml). However, this behavior appears random, as I haven't yet discovered any pattern as to why it sometimes overwrites the metadata and sometimes leaves it alone.

Viewing the books using the custom Collection "All Books by Author" (aba) works great every time, but I miss having the alphabetic index shortcuts on the right side of the screen when viewing a collection.

Quote:
Have you double-checked the actual values of author and author_sort in calibre edit metadata for a badly behaving book?
I have recently edited the metadata for each book individually to ensure that their Author and Author Sort fields are correct.

When viewed on the Reader, this issue is never limited to a single book. Rather, it's all or nothing - with every book displaying Author on the device or every book displaying Author Sort (as preferred).
seanbob is offline   Reply With Quote