Thread: OPF & guide
View Single Post
Old 08-05-2009, 02:38 PM   #13
Valloric
Created Sigil, FlightCrew
Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Valloric ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by kovidgoyal View Post
This is not an issue for an editing software like Sigil, since the user can just manually remove the cover, but it is for an automatic converter like calibre.
This leads me to my main problem with this idea: I can't force the user to place a chapter break after an image and then somehow semantically mark this chapter/XHTML file as one containing the cover only. How would such a UI option even look like? How would it be presented to the user in a simple and understandable way? And honestly, why should the user care? If I were creating an epub book and would have no intention of messing with it in calibre, I would not do this. It would have no tangible benefit to me.

I also wouldn't want to do this automatically on export, not in an editor. An editor (unlike a converter) should never change the structure of the document the user sees in the editor. WYSIWYG means something very specific.

I would welcome suggestions on how could this be handled, because I can't see how it can be.
Valloric is offline   Reply With Quote