View Single Post
Old 09-22-2014, 02:49 AM   #12
kacir
Wizard
kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kacir ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PocketBook 360, before it was Sony Reader, cassiopeia A-20
I am continuing with my previous rant, after I have calmed down a little bit ;-)

- it supports 14 e-book formats, including .doc, .docx, mobi, epub, DRMed epub ...
- The manufacturer published tool for creating dictionaries so there are quite a few very interesting user-created dictionaries on the net, and even the oldest ones work on new models
- there is an SDK for apps,
- there are apps already available on the net that work on reader and we can expect more (if the model isn't abandoned by manufacturer the way PB302 was)
- there is tool (I think there will be, to be honest, because they published it for all previous models) for changing the user interface - so called themes,
- there is support for menu in 21 languages out of box, with a very easy path for creating and installing additional language translations - just translate a single file in a text editor and drop it into /system/language directory on your reader
- there is support for easy and seamless installation of user binaries for the reader. Out of box, absolutely no hacking required - unlike other manufacturers that fight you tooth and nail if you want even to install a font or change a "screensaver"
- the manufacturer doesn't beg you to register ANYWHERE, unlike quite a few manufacturers that hold your device hostage until you register it - Kobo, Nook, Kindle

The only readers that have more features available are those few new ones with Android 4.0 and better.

You and I consider all those a given fact, because we are buying a legendary PockeBook so we grumble about our favorite option missing, but readers reading your blog are not always as well informed.
Even UI changes I am *so* frustrated with, are considered to be standard features for all other e-ink readers
kacir is offline   Reply With Quote