View Single Post
Old 09-16-2012, 09:02 PM   #1
Namekuseijin
affordable chipmunk
Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Namekuseijin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony XPeria ZL, Kindle Paperwhite
Comic ebook prices

Bored of talking about ebook prices? How about talking about comic ebook prices?

I'm reading Y - The last man, a comic book series from Vertigo. Price in ComiXology e-store: 2 dollars per issue. So far so good. A very fair price for a very intriguing graphic novel (soon to be a movie).

Here's a shocking truth I learned today, though: a hardcover collected edition featuring about 5 issues per cover is sold here in Brazil for roughly 8 dollars. This is a first to me: the day a translated, hardcover, printed book would sell for far less than the imported virtual ebook. If I were to download 5 issues from ComiXology I'd spend 5*2 = 10 dollars. If in Brazil -- where imported goods are usually very expensive -- it is this cheap, I wonder how the printed collected edition fares against the ComiXology ones up yonder.

Then I wonder: couldn't the comic ebooks be any cheaper? The sad truth: no, this incredible, modern graphic novel can't be sold any cheaper because all of the historic back catalogue of bastards Marvel and DC sells for exactly 2 bucks! Amazing Spider Man issue 1? $ 1.99. How can you expect modern authors to compete with that?

Does anyone actually buy those out of historic curiosity?

These inflated and unrealistic prices for historical issues have bothered me for long and now I realized how this artificial lower limit also has bad consequences for modern works.
Namekuseijin is offline   Reply With Quote