View Single Post
Old 01-04-2012, 12:19 PM   #10
tayseidel
Zealot
tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.tayseidel can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Glo HD, Aura H20, PRS-T1
What fjtorres said. Though, even if the T1 had more space for apps, It still wouldn't be usable as a tablet because of the e-ink screen. I experiment with apps like FBreader and coolreader on my Evo first, and find the settings I like, then I apply those settings to the respective apps on my T1. The e-ink screen is a serious impediment to using the Android OS because it's a touch-centric OS that relies on a fast refresh rate and animations, and an E-ink screen isn't a conductive environment for that. Furthermore, when I look at the implementation of the Android OS on the T1, it does feel that Sony might have rushed this to market. It could have been implemented a bit better.

Rooting the PRS-T1 is a much simpler process than rooting a phone, at least for the average end-user, so fjtorres is correct in that regard.

With all that said; the font rendering engine and anti-aliasing in the default Sony reader app sucks. It is quite frankly, horrible when compared to Coolreader and FBreader. At first I thought it might have been the fonts used as the choices available in the default reader app, but those same fonts look better in FBreader and Coolreader. Additionally, PMN Caecilia looks better in FBreader than in Coolreader, even when I adjust the settings in Coolreader to match those of FBreader. But, it's not by much. The difference between Coolreader and FBreader is slight when it comes to the anti-aliasing. In FBreader, the anti-aliasing looks to be better than coolreader. This is just my opinion by the way.

FBreader will ignore stylesets in epubs though- I have to specify styling settings in FBreader for my novels to look right. I don't mind this as I read mostly novels and I prefer the formatting to be uniform throughout. Be careful not to use Droid Sans in FBreader otherwise italics are lost- the Droid Sans does not have an italic fontface.
tayseidel is offline   Reply With Quote