View Single Post
Old 08-30-2010, 04:34 PM   #10
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Would you agree with me, Jack, in saying that virtually all the improvement is in how "black" the text is, and that the "white" background is only very slightly different?

When Pearl screens first came out, people were saying that the background was "white". I honestly cannot agree with that; to my eye, the screen background is pretty much the same as it is on the older screens; the improvement is that the text is now truly black rather than grey.
I agree Harry. I heard that "white background" comment a lot, but I honestly don't know where it came from. I will say that in certain light is does look whiter than these photos, but it is still a dull, light shade of gray. The text is definitely blacker and is what makes the screen so much easier on my 52 year old eyes.

BTW: I posted these photos in the Sony forum on MR in response to someone complaining that the K3 screen was no better than his 505. One person in denial stated an obvious mistake I made but had not noticed, and that was the text sizes were not equal. So to prove that made no difference I took another photo with the text sizes on the two devices as close as I could get them to being equal. Here is the result, as you can see it still shows that Pearl is far superior to 2nd Generation eInk screens.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	pearl-comparison-04.jpg
Views:	510
Size:	467.4 KB
ID:	57416   Click image for larger version

Name:	pearl-comparison-05.jpg
Views:	518
Size:	401.4 KB
ID:	57417