View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 11:36 AM   #13
Marcy
Guru
Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Marcy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorino View Post
This is a popular topic, yeah.

The main issues with touch screen e-ink is maintenance (dust between the two layers, etc) and readability. The Kindle is, right now, still a "DEDICATED" e-reader, so readability and convenience are probably the two most important factors. Touch screens are counter-intuitive, in that regard.
The new Sony's don't have 2 layers. The touch "screen" is actually a series of IR beams that are sent from the side and top of the screen. You are supposed to be able to use a feather and have it work, because the amount of pressure is irrelevant, only breaking the beam matters.

As a result there is only one layer and no effect on readability. My PRS-650 has a beautiful clear screen with no glare. The screen's mildly rough texture even seems to prevent most fingerprints. I can see a few if I angle the screen just right into a light source, but otherwise they aren't visible, not like the tons on my iPad.

I find a touch screen intuitive, not counter-intuitive. For me they're the easiest way to turn the page and nothing beats double tapping on a word to look it up in the dictionary.

-Marcy
Marcy is offline   Reply With Quote