View Single Post
Old 02-20-2012, 11:16 AM   #1
ATDrake
Wizzard
ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATDrake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2 International, Sony PRS-T1, BlackBerry PlayBook, Acer Iconia
Exclamation Free (Kindle KDP) Rediscovery by Marion Zimmer Bradley & Mercedes Lackey [Sci-Fi]

Rediscovery by Marion Zimmer Bradley & Mercedes Lackey is a prequel novel in the popular Darkover series of sf with redheaded psychic aristocratic caste vs those interloping Terranan, published circa 1993 by DAW books.

Mind you, it does seem to take place in some sort of compressed-time alternate pocket universe, since the timeline really doesn't match up with what had been previously established unless living under a red sun magically extends human lives and fertility by roughly 2 generations and some things in it outright contradict other stuff in the more "classic" novels where the future events first occur, but then, that's Darkover for you.

Nevertheless, it's fun enough to be a reasonably engaging read, even if it really doesn't fit into the series all that well.

This, unlike so many other KDP Select exclusive-or-else books, has not been yanked from distribution anywhere else, as it has been KDP Select exclusive-or-else from the outset.

Free with probably-DRM for likely just the one day @ Amazon main UK DE ES FR IT

Description
Leonie Hastur has a high degree of laran, the telepathic power of the Comyn caste, and wants to be Keeper of Arilinn Tower, which will give her as much power as her twin brother Lorill, Heir to Hastur. But she has a premonition that something strange and disturbing will come from the sky and change their world forever. She's correct.

Ysaye Barnett loves life on shipboard and would happily stay right there, with her beloved computers, forever. Her best friend Elizabeth Mackintosh, a musician and anthropologist, and her fiance, linguist David Lorne, want to marry and have children, which means they need a planet they can settle on and make their lives' work. They are very excited about the new planet, especially when they realize that it's a lost Terran colony.

As five young lives and their very different cultures meet, all of them will be changed by the encounter.

The rest is just what I found personally compelling enough in the slushpile to bother to include, though for any prospective trawlers, I will mention that there's a bunch of new stuff from authors who've previously been included, several with actual publication credits. If there's anything anyone has been particularly desiring to see yanked from availability elsewhere in other outlets for a potential up-to-5 free days out of 90 on Amazon alone, I'm sure they can find it themselves.

Sightseers & Scholars: Scientific Explorers in the Americas is a history of just what it says in the title, written by Stephen R. Bown, a Canadian non-fiction historical writer who has won a number of specified prizes and has had books selected for the Scientific American Book Club. Some of his works are available as e-books in the BC province-wide digital library if you happen to have a card.

A Good Soldier (US Grant mysteries) by Jeffrey Marks was very likely yanked from Smashwords and elsewhere, since the 1st in the series which we got was, but I like historical mysteries and it's rare that we get any of them anyway and I think it's that President's Day holiday in the US today, so whatever. This was published in 2003 by small press Overmountain and stars Ulysses S. Grant as the amateur sleuth.

I think I once mentioned that this author had the best set of brazen author lies in his bio that I'd yet come across on Amazon and it was a shame his book was no longer free as I'd have included it for the lulz. Well, it's free again now: Goldsmith's Return

Elementary school teacher Brad Miller has another educational book for the kiddies: Playing Around with Math: Card and Dice Games for Addition, Subtraction, Multiplication and More!

Happy reading, if indeed you manage to spot something you think you might like.
ATDrake is offline   Reply With Quote