View Single Post
Old 04-08-2014, 04:09 PM   #112
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by TechniSol View Post
Chicken Little Syndrome seems to be running rampant through this discussion... We're in a crappy economy, and the technology of e-ink is more mature now so more potential sales have been made, and yes, there is similar competition from multi-use devices like tablets on the rise. You notice the entire blurb is predicated on one wag making a statement based on one yearly cycle. I bet they sold less Fords from 1938 to 1945 or so, but there seems to be no shortage of them on freeways today... I think this is mostly shortsighted interpretation of a market. A decline may indicate that the market is temporarily saturated as the devices are multi-year lifetime based, or it may have been the year of the tablet between Apple Mini 2's with higher res screens and Nexus tablets with the same advantages. I think E-ink will stumble along a good while because there is a large enough market for a better device in terms of glare, outdoor visibility, etc.

If you really want to get nervous about e-ink be worried about what Amazon may be up to with their new display technology company vs. e-ink... If they can produce a display that has the lower glare and outdoor visibility of e-ink and is capable of higher refresh rates in color on demand while still keeping the lower power requirements of e-ink when refreshes are kept low then they are the new thing to watch. Amazon won't care as much about cost either if they can get you hooked to buy content from them, that's the real money end of the business.
I agree for the most part, although I wouldn't worry about Amazon's tech. If it is better than Eink I will buy it even though I am diehard a Sony/Eink fan.

It would have to have a significantly whiter screen and be equally light and have the same or better bezel/screen ratio.

And I agree Eink is not dying, just growth is slowing down. same with ebooks. Large growth increases cannot continue forever in any industry. Most people who want and can afford a car already have one. Some car companies go broke, but most trundle along just fine. Many of us have time displays on 10 or more devices, but I still see a lot of clocks and watches for sale in the stores. Pretty big sections devoted to them in fact which wouldn't be the case if no one was buying them.

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote