View Single Post
Old 01-17-2012, 12:33 PM   #8
johnpoz
johnpoz is on a distinguished road

Device: kindle fire
I shut off my wifi all the time, so that ads do not display in games mostly vs any saving of battery power.

And yet to have any issues with reconnection or drop offs when turn it back on. I have done this at home, at work, at sons home and my mother in laws quite often and never an issue. That is 4 different wifi networks that I use on a some what regular basis and never once have I had an issue with connection or drop outs of the wireless.

What wifi settings are you using? Just because you don't notice issues with your other devices does not mean its not related to your wifi setup.

Could be location of the other devices in relation to your KF, could be KF does not like your settings? Could be issue with your dhcp?

Are you running B, G or N? Are you running mixed mode? WPA or WPA2, using tkip or aes or allowing for both... This kind of info is great in determining what could be the problem. What specific wireless router do you have? Is your SSID unique and broadcasting? You can have issues with same SSID in the same area, especially if one is hidden and one is broadcast.

Unless you have specific devices that do not support WPA2 AES, this is what you should be using, along with broadcasting your UNIQUE SSID. Are you using mac filtering? If so WHY? etc..

Its not like I have I connected to hundreds of wifi networks with my KF yet, but sofar I have been very happy with its performance and fast connection and reconnection from an disabled state. From disabled to enabled it connects in less than a couple of seconds. And have had no issues with it from anywhere in my home, even from outside on the patio connection has been rock solid.

Its quite possible there is something wrong with your KF wifi -- but without some details its hard to track down where your problem might be. But you should be able to disable and enable on the fly and not have any issues that is for sure. I would for starters suggest you grab the great wifi analyzer app and take a look to the details of your network and other wifi networks in the area - what kind of strength does your KF see?
johnpoz is offline   Reply With Quote