View Single Post
Old 01-28-2011, 08:36 AM   #275
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Quote:
Originally Posted by earthpigborn View Post
I know the amount of "hassle" I'm gonna go through- what I need to know is what I'm losing if I'm gonna be using it outside the US.(library, in-store freebies, firmware upgrades?) - basically I'm not asking how much trouble it is to get it here- I'm asking what kind of device would I get if it's "divorced" from Barnes & Noble.
I have had a Nook Classic in Canada(I bought it before the wifi came out) for around a year and have had no issues with it at all. It is rooted though with the latest firmware update I find I don't use the rooted apps as much as there is some new sorting methods I prefer in the B&N native library. I have bought books from both B&N and other stores offering Epub with little to no issues. I have converted other formats using Calibre to use on the Nook also with little to no issues. All in all I would highly recommend the Nook, the only thing I find is the battery doesn't last as long as on other e-ink devices I have had and I suspect maybe the 3G chip is causing that as I always have it in "airplane" mode so I know WiFi is off, my ancient Sony used to last well over a week and the Nook probably around 5 days or so before it bugs me.

Also I just picked up a Nook Color to add to my collection, eagerly awaiting it's arrival. The Nook Classic may be up for sale depending on how much I like the color's LCD screen, I read often on my commute and in the winter months it is dark both going to and coming from work and sometimes the little overhead lights on the bus don't function and it annoys me that I need a separate light. I know, not much of an excuse to buy a color but that's my story and I am sticking to it. Really I just wanted a "cheap" tablet to play with, the reading is a bonus, haha.

Kevin
ould is offline   Reply With Quote