View Single Post
Old 12-05-2012, 11:39 AM   #16
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Doubt if there's a market for it for adult books alone. Children (if my nephews are anything to go by) get through a lot of books as young children. Most adults don't read more than few books a year. The "book a month" borrowing that Prime gets you is more than enough for the overwhelming majority of people, I'm certain.
1- There has long been a lot of speculation about a "netflix for ebooks", a for-pay ebook library service, and Amazon (always looking for an angle) has been trying to find a busiess model that would make sense for users,, publishers, and them.
2- Whether or not they can find such a magic mix that *grows* the market instead of cannibalizing sales is unclear, which is what makes these experiments interesting.
3- "Most adults don't read more that a few books a year" reminds me of the old conventional wisdom : "eBooks are for techies and hobbyists only.

As Gregor of Barrayar says: "Let's see what happens."

Amazon has surprised us before. They may not be done yet.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote