Thread: Touch Kobo Touch Firmware 2.0
View Single Post
Old 08-30-2012, 10:15 PM   #1049
DNSB
Bibliophagist
DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DNSB ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage, Forma, Clara HD, Lenovo M8 FHD, Paperwhite 4, Tolino epos
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
I can't comment on the reset behaviour as I can't get 2.1.1 installed on my Touch, but I am curious about the rest.

What do you mean by this:

Are you saying that if you have a book on the device and want to replace it with an updated version you:

- Delete the book using the Touch
- Power off the Touch and power it on again
- Connect to the computer and copy the book over

If so, what firmware version were you using? And how did you come to that sequence of step? And why?

I can see one reason. With FW 2.0.x, there is an issue if you delete using the Touch and then try and put another copy of the book on. A WiFi or desktop app sync between these steps will fix this. My quick test of power off and on didn't.

But, if you are updating a the version of an epub, you don't need to delete the book first. Replacing the book will do a lot of this, depending on the firmware version and the changes.

With FW 1.9.17, replacing the file worked fine unless there were major structure changes. In this case, you could get a reboot when reading the book. But generally, you could read, but navigating via the TOC didn't work. So, fixing spelling or the style sheet would be OK.

With FW 2.0.0, replacing the book usually caused to be deleted when the Touch started up.

With FW 2.0.2, it was mainly back to the 1.9.17 status. But, some changes, such as the title, could get it deleted.

I am running FW 2.0.2 now. When I delete a book using the Touch, I can't replace it until I do a WiFi or a desktop sync. If I try, it gets ignored when I disconnect the Touch. If I delete it from calibre, I can replace it straight away.

If you saw a behaviour different to this, I am interested in what it was. Or if I have the details wrong, correct me. Getting this right will help me with some other things I am doing.

I suspect you were being polite when you said that.
Who? Me? Polite?

I came to that sequence of steps when I found that after simply copying over an updated copy of a book, it sometimes disappeared from the library. I never noticed the file being deleted from the Kobo as others have reported with later firmware versions but being unable to see/open it was just as annoying. I think I started it around 1.9.14.

I noticed the reboot on 1.9.17 rather often since I tend to copy the book to the KT when I first obtain it and then start reading to check formatting, TOC, etc. I then use Sigil to do things like changing the stylesheet, adding modifying a TOC, modifying the chapter structure to a file per chapter if needed, adding a cover image if needed, changing the cover image formatting since I like the following as my cover page code:

<div>
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 540 720" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
<image height="720" transform="translate(0 0)" width="540" xlink:href="../Images/cover.jpg"></image>
</svg>
</div>

This probably does qualify as fairly major changes. When I tried deleting the book from the KT before copying the new copy over, it worked some of the time. When I added the power cycle, it -- so far -- has worked every time regardless of the firmware version in use.

I haven't been using Calibre much lately as anything other than the first pass for converting ebooks. What I was seeing with Calibre was not all of the books on my SD card showed in Calibre which makes me more than a little nervous about adding a book. When I look at the Calibre metadata file stored in the root of the SD card, it listed only 5 of the 1400 books on the card and one was a .CBR format file. Actually, haven't tried this since I updated to Calibre 0.8.66 so will connect with that and see what happens --- hmmm, 17 seconds and get list of books on device reaches 100%, 5 minutes later, the task is still running. 5 minutes, 30 seconds finally stops. Clicking on the Card A icon shows 6 books on the card. 5 1/2 minutes to lose 1400 books....

I wanted to use Calibre since it does clean up the database when it deletes a book but the behaviour above makes it a non-starter here.

As for installing 2.1.1, one friend had an issue with installation. We removed his SD card, did the factory restore back to 1.9.9, connected to his desktop and let the autoupdate to 2.0.0 run. After this was finished, we did the copy update files to the .kobo directory routine and the update completed successfully. Powered down, plugged his SD card back in, powered up and left it to rebuild the library. All seems to be okay now.
DNSB is online now   Reply With Quote