View Single Post
Old 05-20-2012, 10:04 PM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
... which is good design. It allows you to make "global" changes to <p> that affect both default paragraphs and those with styles applied via the class=.

Personally, I prefer to indent paragraphs after a simple scene break and to not indent the first paragraph in the chapter. To do this I have both a "spacebreak" style and a "firstparagraph" style in my CSS, one with an indent and the other with no indent.

Traditionally with "antique" paper books a 3em indent is very common. Ebooks are generally much better off with a smaller indent of 1-1.5em. Personally, I use 1em.
A lot of Mobipocket eBooks use 5% as an indent. Sure, on a computer screen, that may not bee too bad, but on a small screen, it's hideous.

I did try a 1em indent. It just wasn't quite big enough. 1.5em was too big. So I settled for 1.2em.

Personally, I do like the nonindented paragraph after the section break. IT makes it obvious that it's the start of a new section. What I really dislike is when the maker of the eBook is too stupid to take out the * * * for the end of the print page section breaks.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote